By Lori Spencer


If you are a songwriter and another artist wants to record one of your songs, there are legal issues to consider. Before someone else can legally record your song, they must get a license and pay a fee if you own the copyright. In the recording industry, this is called a mechanical license. U.S. copyright law prohibits the manufacture and distribution of songs written by others without a mechanical license. This rule holds in most countries, although statutory requirements may vary. This license ensures that the music publisher and songwriter get paid for their work.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s